Saturday, May 31, 2008

News from LCBO and New Food Products

News reports came out this week about the LCBO and plastic bags. You can read the Toronto Star article here or a provincal government press release here. Once the supply of bags at store level are depleted, we will no longer offer plastic bags as an option! Ideally, we encourage customers to BYOB (bring your own bag). Some people are already bitching about it. As suspected, some are saying "now you'll just kill a lot of trees." Rather than saying what I would like to say, which is - 'listen asshole, if that's a big concern to you, then why don't I see you with your own reusable bag' - I just say that a tree can grow full size in less time than it takes for a plastic bag to break down. I don't know if that's a really good response, but it's the best I can come up with (aside from the asshole comment). Any suggestions?


Quite a while back, I mentioned a couple of different products I'd tried from Gardein and thought, for the most part, they were just sort of OK for the price. I think they have redeemed themselves to me.
A couple of months ago, Jim & I stopped into a grocery store and they were having an in-store demo featuring Gardein. First off, let me say that I was happy to see vegetarian food being showcased (and I do believe all of
the products in this line are vegan), secondly, it was obviously a hit because almost all of the packages were gone! Thankfully, I was still able to snag one. The flavour being offered was the Chick'n Breasts in a Herb Dijon Marinade. YUMMY!

I made them for a quick, easy dinner a couple of nights later. It's one of those deals that comes in a plastic package - just poke and zap.



We had these with baked potatoes and brussels sprouts & carrots with almonds & chives.

I found this recipe on the internet years ago. I don't remember where so I can't give credit, but I will post it below. These were fairly easy to make and were quite tasty. (and pretty).

The poor potato must feel left out. Wanna see that too? OK, here it is!

I lovelovelove potatoes! Especially baked with a nice crisp skin, lots of margarine salt & pepper and topped with chives.

Since the dijon chick'n was so delicious, I'll be more inclined to try some of the other flavours. I see Tuscan Tomato in my near future.

Another product tried last week was a new ice cream flavour from President's Choice. This is not a vegan product, but for readers who use dairy products and like maple, meet the best maple ice cream you will ever have.




Canadian Maple ice cream! It's got maple ripple throughout and little chunks of maple sugar mixed in. Holy! Delicious! Jim wanted nothing to do with this because he doesn't like maple. Whatwhat?? He's nuts.

.

.
If you're in Canada, like maple & indulge in dairy, I highly recommend this new flavour. This would excellent in a waffle cone.
.

.

BRUSSELS SPROUTS & CARROTS WITH ALMONDS & CHIVES

16 ounces brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
1/2 pound carrots, peeled
6 tbsp. margarine
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook sprouts in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the carrots 1/8-inch thick. Add carrots to sprouts and cook for another 4 minutes. Drain.

In a large skillet, heat margarine with brown sugar and lemon juice. Add sprouts and carrots and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until vegetables are glazed. Taste for salt & pepper and toss with chives and almonds.

Serves 6.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

BRUSSELS SPROUTS & CARROTS WITH ALMONDS & CHIVES?!?!?! Sounds too good for words :0D

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I've seen those chicken packages around, I'm glad they're tasty! And I got the recipe for the broccoli polenta from the veganomicon, but you could probably just take your favourite polenta recipe and add 1-2 cups of chopped up broccoli and it would be pretty close, I'm sure.

Michelle Ann said...

Those brussel sprouts look delicious!

Tanya Kristine said...

I like Dreena Burtons brussel sprouts...no wait...maybe it's Isa's BS's. You cut them in half, shower them in olive oil & fresh chopped garlic, roast them at 500 (or 450) for 10 minutes, pull them out, load them with coarse sea salt and roast them another 5. to DIE for!

that vegan chix looks pretty dang good....c'est tout bon!

Catherine Weber said...

I love potatoes, too. SO much!

And those b-sprouts look divine! I'll have to save your recipe.

Sheree' said...

Your Brussels sprout look so good. The earwigs (pincher bugs) devored all 9 of our plants this year. We are so sad because there were so many little lovely sprout just waiting to make us happy. Well, if you are going to have an organic garden your are going to have casulties. But, darn you recipe looks good!