Monday, July 24, 2006

Prelude to Christmas

Blogger has been giving me trouble today, so I wasn't able to put this all in one post.

I've been dying to try Isa's cupcakes since I've heard nothing but raves about them. And now I had the perfect opportunity. It was once again time for Christmas in July. (There is more about this event below).

I guess we all have our mishaps in the kitchen and I'm certainly no exception. I was making Lemon Gem Cupcakes from
Vegan With a Vengeance, but something was amiss. Do these look right to you?



They were all sunken in the middle. Oh No! I'm supposed to be taking these for a potluck. So I started again. This time I mixed everything up according to the recipe again, but let the batter sit in the bowl for about 10 minutes before I poured it into the pans. And, I filled them almost to the top. This time, much better results.



To see the completed cupcakes and to learn more about Christmas in July...the rest of this post follows below.

11 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Oh my gosh, how strange! I'm glad they worked out - and so, so lucious looking for a little cuppercake!

Tanya Kristine said...

and how did they taste??

Carrie™ said...

Actually, the defective ones taste just as good as the normal ones. They just don't look as nice. I kept them for home and we've been total gluttons. Maybe the oven wasn't preheated properly, maybe I was doing too much at the same time and messed up somehow...who knows.

Shananigans said...

Lovely cupcakes. Christmas in July sounds like fun!

Tanya Kristine said...

well i must try. we just can't cook here in sacramento because it's a hot 110 out.

MeloMeals said...

Your second batch definitely looks perfect.. I wonder what the deal was with the first? Love your xmas in July party.. and the pics.. it's great to put a face to the name..

It's so odd that people are so amazing that vegan food can be so good.. do they think that vegans just have no taste, or what?

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

endomorph vs. ectomorph cupcakes!

speaking of cupcakes -- you inspired me to make vwav cherry-almond muffins!

Harmonia said...

Another new layout!? FAB! Now I want to change mine again...it's been way to long!

Great 'cakes! I want one! NO, you don't understand I WANT ONE! lol

Tanya Kristine said...

i posted on my doggies site...kodycode.blogspot.com

just for you...

Anonymous said...

I love that your work does xmas in July...fun! Lemon Gem Yum!

Anonymous said...

The second ones look so cute and very gem-my. I bet the oven temp guess is correct.