Friday, June 16, 2006

MMMMuffins!

No work today! Yea! But I have to work the weekend. Booooo! I slept in a bit and when I got up, I knew exactly what I wanted for breakfast - Apple Hemp Muffins from Dreena Burton's latest cookbook Vive Le Vegan. When I checked out Vicki's blog last week, she had made them and her picture was to die for, so I went on a search for hemp seed nuts. I didn't know if I'd ever be able to find them, but lo and behold! I was at Fortino's and there they were! Right in the cooler at the natural food/hippie section, front row, center! The ones they had were by a Canadian company called Manitoba Harvest. Even better!!



It took no time to whip these muffins up. I got to use some more of the nutmeg I won from Sarah Kramer. The batter was so light and fluffy when I was spooning it into the muffin cups, I couldn't wait for for them to bake. After about 10 minutes the spicy smell was all through my kitchen.

A while ago, Jim got a bag of coffee from a customer as a tip. (Yes, strange I know. He gets some odd things sometimes. Actually, the nutmeg I spoke of above was a tip to Sarah's husband, Gerry.) Anyhow, the coffee was organic, shade grown beans from Starbucks. I'm not usually a big fan of Starbucks coffee, but grinding fresh beans was so appealing this morning.



It actually didn't taste too bad. But when I had it with the muffins, it was much better.

These turned out fantastic! They were moist and quite light for a muffin, and not all sicky sweet like a muffin you'd buy at a coffee shop. I put half of the batch in the freezer to supply me with grab and go breakfasts next week. Thanks Dreena for a fabulous recipe!

5 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I forgot to add in my post that these would probably be super good with raisins!!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Whata fun post for me to read, Carrie, it makes me so happy! :) And yeaah for you finding hemp nuts ~ keep 'em flowing. I don't want to sound overly odd, but those are some georgous muffins! Great photo, & I agree that raisins would be mighty nice. So what hemp recipe is next?!

funwithyourfood said...

wow i didn't know starbucks did shade grown coffee. that is so great
thanks for sharing


Teddy

KleoPatra said...

Nothing like HOMEMADE muffins. I rarely eat pre-packaged, pre-made muffins; these looks fab, Carrie!

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Crystal said...

I love the hemp seeds! I use them in smoothies, granola; I'd put them in more things, but they are kinda spendy.

-Crystal