Monday, April 10, 2006

My birthday and Microsoft - Grrrr!

Sometimes I get so frustrated with this damn computer. I had a big long post typed out, all nice with links and everything, and then Windows® froze! Dammit! I lost the whole thing. I tried to click 'save as draft' but no go. So I'll try this again and hope it works.

We had plans to go to Fielding Estate Winery in the afternoon. They were having a Sample & Shop day. It was a chance for them to showcase their new releases and a chance for us to try them and buy them before they officially went on sale. Originally, it was going to be Jim & I, Michelle & Joe. Jim was stuck working the Milton Home Show and couldn't get out of it. Joe had to do some catching up on his schoolwork. Because of the college teachers strike, he's been working Saturdays to make up for lost time. So, in their place, Bill & Georgina came along. Bill is always a bit of a nut, full of crazy, funny stories. They had just gotten back from vacation in Costa Rica so the drive out was lively and interesting.

On the way, Michelle wanted to stop at Angel's Gate. We did some tasting at the bar and I picked up a 2004 Gamay, which was a re-release this weekend and I got Jim a 2003 Cabernet Franc. While I was browsing, I saw on a table just as nonchalant as you please, about 6 bottles of 2002 Angel's III. I couldn't believe it! I thought it was all sold out. The girl who was serving us said that was all that was left. Michelle and I each got one. That is going to be a treat.

We left there and drove up the road to Fielding. We checked in, grabbed our glasses, brochure and map and went downstairs to the tank room. The set-up was 1 or 2 wines per table and a host to talk about the wine and answer questions. I think in all there was about 11 or 12. There was 'light fare' set up in the barrel room which consisted of bread, crackers, cheese, dried & fresh fruit and nuts. Our first stop was at the Pinot Gris table. Mrs. Fielding was pouring and when she found out it was my birthday, she gave me a giant pour. Then she gave me another "for the birthday girl". I heart her! When Jim and I had been to the winery not long ago and signed up for this event, I happened to mention that it was on my birthday. I guess they made note of it somewhere, because when some of the staff heard someone in our group mention my name, they said "Carrie? Is it your birthday today? Happy Birthday!" How's that for great customer service? We got to taste and buy some really good wines. I picked up a couple of 2005 Chardonnay Musque & a couple of 2005 Gewurtztraminer. The 2004 Cabernet Sauvignon really stood out for me. Probably one of the best I've tasted from Niagara. It had only been bottled a couple of months ago, so given time, I can only imagine how good it will be. I got 4 of those. :o) I think all of us had a really enjoyable time there.

From there, we drove to Jordan to visit The Upper Canada Cheese Company. We had tried their cheeses before, but Georgina hadn't and she's a total cheese nut so she really wanted to check them out. All of their cheese is hand-crafted and so delicious. I bought some dill crostini and some cheese to save until after Easter Georgina got a couple of pieces of cheese and a cheesecake that she cradled like a baby on her lap on the drive home. Bill doesn't like cheese, but was very gracious and patient while we asked questions and browsed.

I got home with enough time to have a nap and recharge my battery. We then met up with Michelle and Joe at Tucker's Marketplace for dinner. I got my meal free because it was my birthday. I requested no singing, but Michelle must have charmed the waiter, because I got singing. And all the while, Michelle had a mischevious gleam in her eye. I'm onto her! We had some good food, a nice bottle of wine and some great conversation. Michelle got me a subcription to Vegetarian Times but I already have one. She said it was not a big deal, she'd switch it to something else. I felt terrible, but she kept insisting that it was OK. Jim got me a NEW DIGITAL CAMERA!! I'm still playing around with it and trying to figure out how to use all of the bells & whistles. I'll now be able to post my own photos!
We said our good-byes in the parking lot and Michelle and I made tentative plans to get together this week. She leaves for Calgary on the 18th, so we want to spend some time before she takes off.

Jim and I then headed over to the Navy Club for Adam & Kirsten's stag and doe. Not exactly how I'd plan to spend my birthday, but we went along anyway. After a few watered down drinks, the music was still crappy (why do they always play Bob Seager's 'Old Time Rock and Roll' at these kinds of things?) but, we had a pretty good time in the end. We got to see some friends that we haven't seen in a while. Jim ran into Dave Courtney and they spent a lot of time chatting and catching up. I think there is now a big paintball game in the works. Barry and Tracie's sister, Tammy were both there and we're all April 8 babies. That was cool. We ended up staying until the end and when we got home I wanted to play with my camera, but could only manage staying up for a half hour. I was bushed! Being another year older seems to have taken it's toll.

2 comments:

~go veg said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Carrie™ said...

Thanks! They're sneaking up on me faster and faster now.