Sunday, February 19, 2006

Bulgur For Harmonia


So, a blogger pal of mine bought some bulgur and isn't sure what to do with it. I offered to post some recipes. This first one is a tried and true. It's from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home.

RED, GOLD, BLACK AND GREEN CHILI

1/2 cup bulgur
1/2 cup hot water
3 cups undrained canned tomatoes (28-ounce can)

3 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
3 cups chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 generous tsp. ground cumin
1 generous tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, or 1/4 tsp. cayenne

2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen cut corn
1 1/2 cups drained cooked black beans (14-ounce can)
1 1/2 cups drained cooked red kidney beans (14-ounce can)
salt to taste

grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional) - use vegan cheese
chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Place the bulgur, hot water and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.
While the bulgur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder and Tabasco or cayene. When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and saute for 2 to 3 minutes more. Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan. Stir in the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat. Taste the bulgur. When it is cooked, but still chewy add it to the pan with it's liquid. Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavours to meld. Add salt to taste.
Serve plain or topped with grated cheese and fresh cilantro.


I also had one for a bulgur salad that had dried cranberries in it, but I couldn't find that recipe. It must still be packed in a box somewhere. If you're interested in that one, I can post it when I find it.
I also have a couple of others that are on my list to try, but I haven't done so yet. If you'd like me to post those, let me know. One is for cabbage rolls and the other is for stuffed eggplant.

2 comments:

Harmonia said...

Thank you so very much for this! I am printing it out now!!!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I'm glad you posted this, too! I also have bulgur to use : )